Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a friend in need

2 posters

Go down

I'm a friend in need Empty I'm a friend in need

Post by JOKER Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Salam

Well, I have to choose a book to read and make a "technical card/s" , which i ignore what it is , is it "fiche de lecture" , "reading report" , or "synopsis" ????!!! so if u could just tell me what it is and possibly suggest a book to read , that would be much appreciated !!

Regards
JOKER
JOKER

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

I'm a friend in need Empty Re: I'm a friend in need

Post by sassy86 Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi Joker Smile

First of all, do you have to do this for any book ?? ( I mean for a module of literaturee, vic, or ...etc) Is it ok to chose a novel or a short story???

***I'll show you now the steps to follow to make a technical card (une fiche de lecture):

I- Title of the book:
ex : Odyssey

II- Author:
ex: Homer

III- Book's edition / Date
:
ex: Viking's edition , 1996

(you will find these information on the book's cover)

IV- Characters
(main characters in the book)

ex: Ulyssses and Gods of Olympe (Zeus ....Etc)

V- Summary of the book:
( a brief summary, you must give the most important events and not the whole story)

VI- Personal opinion

(it consists in saying if you liked the story or not and why . You will explain that in few lines)

N.B: Some technical cards may also include something about the author's life or the context in which s/he wrote that book
sassy86
sassy86

Number of posts : 1227
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JOKER Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:21 am

Salam

Thanks for the quick reply,well i forgot to mention non-fiction, i mean history : civ ... , no novels or stories,.... does it differ ? is there different elements in technical cards when reading other kinds of books ?!

thanks again Sassy
Regards
JOKER
JOKER

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy86 Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:47 am

You're welcome Joker Smile

It is almost the same, it is all about giving the main ideas the book is dealing with as well as the results the book came to.
Follow this plan:

I-Title of the book:

II- Author: his or her complete name and if possible the method they adopted in this book or school s/he belongs to.

III- Book's edition / Date:
publication, date of publication, city, publisher,and volume number for journal articles.
(you will find these information on the book's cover

VI-The theme of the book
(the topic the book is dealing with). Try to give the a sort of short summary of the main ideas tackled by the author but try to present some arguments used by the author in the way s/he presented them (in his or her own reasoning) Your task here is to simplify those arguments, to make them easy to understand for someone who hasn’t read the book because YOU have read the book.

V-The development of the book (or the outline): Here you are not just supposed to give the chapters’ titles but in fact you are expected to list them in an attractive and logical way. List them and explain VERY briefly the main idea of the chapter. (At this level, you can also put a quotation from the book, which you see as very important for you or that can attract those who haven’t read the book yet).

VI- Results
(some would call it conclusion): Here try to give us the findings, the results, and maybe the discoveries the author came to. (if it is too much a scientific book I would advise you to avoid giving your own appreciation or the discoveries you came to)

REMARKS:
*Sometimes the technical card is referred to as ‘reading card’
*The technical card is REALLY important, this would allow you to know how to read a book efficiently and ALWAYS keep those main ideas fresh in your mind. In fact, when you’ll have to write a dissertation, you will have to write what we call a ‘review of literature’, meaning the books you have read and analyzed. And if you don’t write reading or technical cards of these books, you will forget about the main ideas the book is dealing with or the important quotations…etc So, you’ll at the end have read the book for nothing.
sassy86
sassy86

Number of posts : 1227
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down