Blida Department of English: Free Stand to Stand Free
Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello dear mate, we'll be pleased to have you joining our community, so would you please register. You have to identify yourself to admin or to the moderators to be able to join the hidden group where you can see all the forum material.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poeticly philosophical passages

+8
Londonhbb
w_ch
Matthew
bart_simpson
the youth
imy
Virtopia
Hush
12 posters

Go down

Poeticly philosophical passages Empty Poeticly philosophical passages

Post by Hush Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Hello dear mates, I was reading my notes written on Why Are we So Blest? by Armah and I found this passage that I like so much. Therefore I couldn't help but share it with you.

"Even before my death I have become a ghost, wandering about the face of the earth, moving with a freedom I have not chosen, something whose unsettling abundance I am impotent to use. There is no contact possible. Life goes on around me, and with a clarity that has grown sharply painful, I see it flow like a stream in slow motion. It's all plainly visible: every ripple and every little wave coming all the way to spend it's ridiculous force on the ban, like millions before it and millions lapping after it. The flow is slow, so that it is possible at times to see down to the bottom and to know that steady currents go deep beneath the surface movement. Often it is not easy for the eye to tell whether in truth there is any movement at all. But generally, though the direction of the flow looks uncertain, I know there is a flowing stream. Only there is no portion of the stream, not
part of all this flowing life, into which I can fling myself and say:" Here I belong. This is my home. Here I shall do the work of my life." I'm not able to see my way back into the stream, and now I do not even know if there is left in me any desire to go back in.

I do not know where I am. Perhaps I am the spume, a little speck of fugitive water
sent up into the air by huge waves in their crashing against hard obstacles. Perhaps I am the spray, a minute globule struggling to survive the shock of wave against returning wave, split from the parent water and flung upward into the sky, to disintegrate and to evaporate.
"

I just adore it!
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Poeticly philosophical passages Empty Re: Poeticly philosophical passages

Post by Virtopia Sun May 31, 2009 2:32 pm

I’ve chosen a writer and a novel that most of the Africans hate, Joseph Conrad and his Heart of Darkness:
"I did not go to join Kurtz there and then. I did not. I remained to dream the nightmare out to the end, and to show my loyalty to Kurtz once more. Destiny. My Destiny! Droll thing life is -that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself -that comes too late-a crop of inextinguishable regrets. I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine .It takes place in an impalpable greyness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid scepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary. If such is the form of ultimate wisdom, then life is a greater riddle than some of us think it to be………..True , he had made that last stride, he had stepped over the edge, while I had been permitted to draw back my hesitating foot. And perhaps in this is the whole difference; perhaps all the wisdom, and all truth, and all sincerity, are just compressed into that inappreciable moment of time in which we step over the threshold of the invisible."
I just appreciate this passage. It’s highly philosophical.
Virtopia
Virtopia

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by imy Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 pm

I DO LIKE THIS PÄSSAGE TOO IN HEART OF DARKNESS.BUT I PREFER:"...One evening coming in with a candle i was startled to hear him say a little tremulously,'i am lying here in the dark waiting for death'.The light was within a foot of his eyes.I forced myself to murmur? 'oh,nonsense!' and stood over him as if transfixed.
'anything approaching the change that came over his features I have never seen before,and hope nevert to see again.Oh,i wasn't touched.Iwas fascinated.It was as though a veil had been rent.I saw on that ivory face the expression of sombre pride,of ruthless power,of craven terror-of an intense and hopless despair.Did he live hislife again in every detail of desire,temptation,and surrender during that supreme moment of complete knowldge? He cried in a whisper at some image,at some vision-he cried out twice,a cry that was no more than a breath- 'The horror!The horror!'........"
imy
imy

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Check this..

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself.
They came through you,but not from you.
And though they are with you,yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love,but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies,but not their souls.
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,which you cannot visit,not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward,nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

Khalil Gibran.
the youth
the youth

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by w_ch Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello mates.The following passage is taken from one of Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories "Sharlock Holmes".One morning,Dr Watson,a friend of Sharlock's,grabbed a magazine and read the following article:

"From a drop of water a logician could infer the posibility of an Atlantic or a Niagara without having seen or heard of one or the other.So,all life is a great chain,the nature of which is known whenever we are shown a single link of it.Like all other arts,the science of deducation and analysis is one which can only acquired by long and patient study,nor is life long enough to allow any mortal to attain the highest possible perfection in it.Before turning to those moral and mental aspects of the matter which present the greatest difficulties,let the inquirer begin by mastering more elementery problems.Let him,on meeting a follow-mortal,learn to distanguish the history of the man,and the trade or profession towhich he belongs.Such an exercise sharpens the faculties of observation and where to look for and what to look for"
w_ch
w_ch

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://Ouadhah.cherifi@oup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hush Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:04 am

Great!
Hush
Hush

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:23 pm

So is the following..

"I will not serve that in which i no longer believe,whatever it call itself my home,my fatherland or my church;and i will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as i can,using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use,silence,exile,and cunning"
From A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
James Joyce
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:16 pm

"Experience is never limited, and it is never complete; it is an immense sensibility, a kind of huge spider_web of the finest silken threads suspended in the chamber of consciousness, and catching every air_borne particle in its tissue"
Henry James
The Art of Fiction
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by bart_simpson Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:41 pm

-Khalil Gibran “The Madman”
"1-First Self: Here, in this madman, I have dwelt all these years, with naught to do but renew his pain by day and recreate his sorrow by night. I can bear my fate no longer, and now I rebel.
2-Second Self: Yours is a better lot than mine, brother, for it is given to me to be this madman’s joyous self. I laugh his laughter and sing his happy hours, and with thrice winged feet I dance his brighter thoughts. It is I that would rebel against my weary existence.
3-Third Self: And what of me, the love-ridden self, the flaming brand of wild passion and fantastic desires? It is I the love-sick self who would rebel against this madman.
4-Fourth Self: I, amongst you all, am the most miserable, for naught was given me but odious hatred and destructive loathing. It is I, the tempest-like self, the one born in the black caves of Hell, who would protest against serving this madman.
5-Fifth Self: Nay, it is I, the thinking self, the fanciful self, the self of hunger and thirst, the one doomed to wander without rest in search of unknown things and things not yet created; it is I, not you, who would rebel.
6-Sixth Self: And I, the working self, the pitiful labourer, who, with patient hands, and longing eyes, fashion the days into images and give the formless elements new and eternal forms—it is I, the solitary one, who would rebel against this restless madman.
7-Seventh Self: How strange that you all would rebel against this man, because each and every one of you has a preordained fate to fulfill. Ah! could I but be like one of you, a self with a determined lot! But I have none, I am the do-nothing self, the one who sits in the dumb, empty nowhere and nowhen, while you are busy re-creating life. Is it you or I, neighbours, who should rebel?
When the seventh self thus spake the other six selves looked with pity upon him but said nothing more; and as the night grew deeper one after the other went to sleep enfolded with a new and happy submission.
But the seventh self remained watching and gazing at nothingness, which is behind all things.”

-Khalil Gibran “The Madman”
bart_simpson
bart_simpson

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:38 pm

"Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood! Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh.To be great is to be misunderstood"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Self-Relience
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:47 pm

"As for me , I see no such great cause why i should either be fond to live or fear to die.I have had good experience of this world, and I know what it is to be a subject and what to be a sovereign.Good neighbours I have had, and I have met with bad, and in trust I have found treason"
Queen Elizabeth I
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:17 am

"I consider that a man’s brain orginally is like a little empty attic. And you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has walls and can distend to any extent.Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones’.

Arthur connan doyle
Matthew
Matthew

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by w_ch Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 pm

This passage is my favourite one conserning the novel "The Great Gatsby".It's the first Paragraph of the second chapter and it goes as follows:
About half way between West Egg and New York the motor road hastily joins the railroad and runs beside it for a quarter of a mile, so as to shrink away from a certain desolate area of land. This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak, and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud, which screens their obscure operations from your sight. But above the gray land and the spasms of bleak dust which drift endlessly over it, you perceive, after a moment, the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg. The eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg are blue and gigantic—their irises are one yard high. They look out of no face, but, instead, from a pair of enormous yellow spectacles which pass over a nonexistent nose. Evidently some wild wag of an oculist set them there to fatten his practice in the borough of Queens, and then sank down himself into eternal blindness, or forgot them and moved away. But his eyes, dimmed a little by many paintless days, under sun and rain, brood on over the solemn dumping ground.
w_ch
w_ch

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-05-21

http://Ouadhah.cherifi@oup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonhbb Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 pm

wow awesome
4 me my favorite part in my best Novel I ever learn( A Wlk To Remember) is :
" Love is always patient and kind.
It is never jealous.Love is never boastful or conceited.It is never rude or selfish.It does not take offense and is not resentful.Love takes no pleasure
in other people's sins.but delights in the truth.It is always ready to excuse,
to trust, to hope and to endure whatever comes."
Londonhbb
Londonhbb

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

This small passage is taken from "King Arthur and other stories" by Oscar Wilde :
"Actors are so fortunate.They can choose whether they will appear in tragedy or in comedy, whether they will suffer or make mere, laugh or shed tears. But in real life it is different . Most men and women are forced to perform parts for which they have no qualification".

I like too much this one, it is from the same book:
"I expect to pass throught this world but once, any good thing therfore that i can do, or any kindness that i can show to any follow-creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for i shall not pass this way again."
chinda
chinda

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:42 pm

"As a prince must be able to act just like a beast, he should learn from the fox and the lion; because the lion does not defend himself against traps, and the fox does not defend himself against wolves.So one has to be a fox in order to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten off wolves"
Niccolo Machiavelli
The Prince
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by Azyade Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Amazing. Thank you so much.
Azyade
Azyade

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by chinda Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:17 pm

There is no frigate like a bookTo take us lands away,Nor any coursers like a pageOf prancing poetry.This traverse may the poorest takeWithout oppress of toll.How frugal is the chariotThat bears the human soul !                                                                Emily Dickinson 
chinda
chinda

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Thewolf Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Most men and women are forced to perform parts for which they have no qualification". this is true, some peopel laugh to hide their sadness.
Thewolf
Thewolf

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:23 pm

"What i must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think.
This rule, equally arduous in actual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness.
It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it.It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."

Emerson, from [u]Self-Reliance
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by the youth Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:06 pm

"society is a wave.The wave moves onward, but the water of which it is composed does not"
Emerson.
the youth
the youth

Back to top Go down

Post by jamie Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:15 pm

hello
i do like this collection of phylisophical passages.Thank you so much
jamie
jamie